Before you begin
You can start using Apple Pay to make purchases as soon as you add a credit or debit card, including store-issued cards, to Wallet. Here's what you need:
- iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus and later (Apple Pay in stores and within apps)
- iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, or iPad mini 3 and later (Apple Pay within apps)
- In Canada: iOS 9 or later
- In the UK: iOS 8.3 or later
- In the US: iOS 8.1 or later
- Canada, United Kingdom, or United States as your selected region
- Touch ID or passcode on your device
- An Apple ID signed in to iCloud
- Supported card from a participating bank or store
You can also add a rewards card from participating merchants to Wallet, so you can receive and redeem rewards using Apple Pay.
Set up Apple Pay on your iPhone or iPad
Add a card to your iPhone or iPad:
- On your iPhone, open Wallet. On your iPad, go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay.
Tap Add Credit or Debit Card.
- If you have a supported credit or debit card on file with iTunes, enter the card’s security code. Otherwise, use the camera to capture the information on your credit, debit, or store card. Then fill in any additional information needed.
- Tap Next. Your bank will verify your information and decide if you can add your card to Apple Pay. If they need more information, they'll ask you to provide additional verification. You can verify your card any time after you add it. Just return to Wallet on iPhone or Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay on iPad, and follow the steps.
- After your card is verified, tap Next. Then you can start using Apple Pay.
See what you need to set up and use Apple Pay on your Apple Watch.
Use Apple Pay in stores and within apps
You can use Apple Pay with your iPhone in stores that accept contactless payments. Look for one of these symbols at checkout:
You can also pay with Apple Pay within participating apps that sell physical goods and services, like groceries, clothing, tickets, reservations, and more. On your iPhone or iPad, you can use Apple Pay to pay within apps when you see the Buy with Apple Pay button or Apple Pay as a payment method. Look for these buttons in apps:
Pay with Apple Pay in stores
To pay with Apple Pay using your default card, hold the top of your iPhone within an inch (or 2.5 cm) of the contactless reader with your finger held on Touch ID without pressing it. (You can watch the demo to see how it works.) If you turned on Automatic Selection on the respective store card, the store card will be used instead of your default card.
If you need to choose between Credit or Debit on the terminal, we recommend that you choose Credit to get the most consistent Apple Pay experience. Choosing Debit might not always work with some older merchant payment terminals and backend systems.
Pay with a different card on your iPhone:
- Hold the top of your iPhone near the contactless reader without placing your finger on Touch ID. Your iPhone will wake up, and you'll see your default card on your screen.
- Tap your default card. From the list of cards, tap the one you want to use.
- Place your finger on Touch ID and move your iPhone near the reader to complete the payment.
You can also prepare to pay in advance to get through checkout more quickly:
- While your iPhone is locked, double-click the Home button.
- Your default card will appear. You can switch cards by tapping the card you want to use.
- Place your finger on Touch ID until you see Hold Near Reader to Pay.
- Hold the top of your iPhone near the contactless reader to send your payment information.
If you’re in the UK and your purchase is more than £30, you might not be able to use Apple Pay at some merchants. In Canada, if you use a card other than American Express and your purchase is more than $100, you might not be able to use Apple Pay at some merchants.
Use a rewards card with Apple Pay
At participating stores, you can easily receive or redeem rewards using Apple Pay. Add a rewards card to Wallet and use it when you pay with Apple Pay.
- If you turned on Automatic Selection on the pass, place your finger on Touch ID and hold your iPhone near the contactless reader when asked by the cashier or the terminal.
- If you didn't turn on Automatic Selection on the respective rewards pass, open the Wallet app. If your iPhone is locked, you can quickly open Wallet by double-clicking the Home button. Tap the rewards pass you want to use, then place your finger on Touch ID and hold your iPhone near the contactless reader.
Your rewards card will be applied to the purchase, and payment will be made using your default payment card with Apple Pay. Some merchant terminals might be set up to request your rewards card separately from payment. At these merchants, only your rewards information will be applied at first, then you can pay using Apple Pay after the cashier or terminal requests payment.
Pay with Apple Pay within apps
Pay with Apple Pay within an app using iPhone or iPad:
- Tap the Buy with Apple Pay button or Apple Pay button.
Review your payment information and contact details. Enter other billing, shipping, and contact information if necessary. Apple Pay will store that information, so you won't need to enter it again.
- Place your finger on Touch ID to complete the payment.
When your payment information is sent successfully, you'll see Done and a checkmark on the screen.
Manage your cards on your iPhone or iPad
After you add credit, debit, or store cards to Wallet, you can change the default card, update your card information, or remove a card at any time. You can have up to eight different cards on any device.
Change your default card
The first card you add to Wallet is your default card. To change your default card, use the steps below.
On your iPhone:
- Open Wallet.
- Touch and hold your finger on the card that you want to make the default.
- Drag the card to the front of the cards in the Apple Pay section.
On your iPad:
- Go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Tap Default Card.
- Choose a new card.
Update your card information, addresses, and contact information
You can change the addresses, email, or phone number you use for paying within apps at any time. Go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay to update your information. To update the billing address for a card, go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay, tap a card, then tap the billing address.
Remove a card
Go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay, tap the card that you want to remove, then tap Remove Card.
Turn on Automatic Selection on a store or rewards card
If you turn on Automatic Selection on a store card, the store card will be presented instead of your default card when you pay at the associated store. If you turn on Automatic Selection on a rewards card, your rewards information will be presented at the associated store when using Apple Pay.
When you add a store card or rewards card to Wallet, you might be asked if you want the card to be automatically selected. To turn Automatic Selection on or off:
- Open the Wallet app.
- Tap the store card or rewards card.
- Tap , then turn Automatic Selection on or off.
Get help if your device is lost or stolen
You can remove your credit or debit cards from Apple Pay on iCloud.com. Just sign in, click Settings, choose your device, and remove your cards in the Apple Pay section.
If Find My iPhone is turned on, you can also help keep your data secure in these ways:
- Turn on Lost Mode to lock your device and suspend Apple Pay.
- Erase your device remotely to prevent anyone else from accessing the data on your missing device and to remove your cards.
You can also call your bank to suspend or remove your cards from Apple Pay. Learn more about what to do if your iPhone is lost or stolen.