- URGENT! Update your Apple Device Immediately!
- Email Scam - WhatsApp Voicemail Message
- Is Your WIFI Safe?
- Phone Scam: "We've found a problem on your computer."
- Obama Asks FCC to classify Internet as Public Utility
- Apple releases Bash update to plug Shellshock security flaw
- iPhone 6 Bendgate: Overblown according to Consumer Reports
- Google takes one step closer to becoming Big Brother
Hackers Steal Millions of Passwords for Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo and Google.
Internet security researchers from Turstwave SpiderLabs report that nearly 2 million usernames and passwords for Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Google, LinkedIn and other poplular sites have been compromised and distributed online.
The hackers stole information from over 320,000 email accounts, 318,000 Facebook accounts, 21,000 Twitter users and more. It is reported that most of the accounts compromised seemed to be in the Netherlands (97%), and then Thailand, Germany, Singapore and Indonesia. Less than 2,000 users from the U.S. were affected. It is not known how many, if any from Canada.
The next bit of information is the most disturbing, yet unfortunately, not surprising. Trustwave researchers found that over 15,000 of the affected users used the password "123456" and around 2,000 just used the word "password" or "admin."
We all know what a pain it is to manage the enormous amount of passwords we have in our digital lives. It can become overwhelming, especially with the stringent requirements that many sites now require on choosing them. With that being said, events like this should be a wake up call. Take your passwords security seriously. We at TechnoMinds can help you with security strategies that can ease the management of your passwords and keep you safe at the same time.
Here are a few things to think about when creating your passwords:
- Don't use the same password everywhere.
- Add a second layer of protection with answering security questions.
- Change passwords frequently.
- DON"T use family names, pet names, addresses, phone numbers, or any info that can easily be guessed.
Don't procrastinate with something so important. Contact us today!